Network problems while running VirtualBox

Peter Ross Peter.Ross at bogen.in-berlin.de
Tue Jul 19 06:34:12 UTC 2011

Quoting "Adam Vande More" <amvandemore at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Peter Ross
> <Peter.Ross at bogen.in-berlin.de>wrote:
>
>>  I tried FTP (to have something completely different) and it fails as well:
>> (ftp: netout: Cannot allocate memory)
>>
>> I watched vmstat -z, and every time it fails, I have another failure
>> reported for "NetGraph data items".

> Does raising the value of net.graph.maxdata help?  Set it in
> /boot/loader.conf.

Indees it does. I raised it to 65536 and now I can copy large files
and do not see "NetGraph data items" failures in vmstat -z anymore.

I wonder whether it could be a recommendation of the VirtualBox ports?
I am not the first one to be bitten by it so it would make sense to
send a warning.

E.g. Marlon discarded the whole FreeBSD/VirtualBox setup and went
Citrix instead. It does not have to be like that;-)

In one way it makes sense that the _start_ of the VirtualBox makes the
difference. It is a busy company mailserver with SMTP and HTTP access
and a lot of traffic going through - it all has to go through the
netgraph items.

Of course, I have in my setup another way of working around the
problem: at the moment VirtualBox is using the same interface than the
host. I have a still unused interface I should use instead to separate
the traffic.

Regards
Peter