skype-2.0.0.72,1 && font size

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Jan 31 12:29:26 UTC 2011

El día Wednesday, January 26, 2011 a las 03:01:04PM +0100, Matthias Apitz escribió:

> El día Saturday, January 22, 2011 a las 09:48:20AM +0100, Matthias Apitz escribió:
>
> > El día Friday, January 21, 2011 a las 02:50:44PM +0100, Oliver Fromme escribió:
> >
> > > When the dpi value is incorrect, i.e. too high, then some
> > > applications will think that your screen is much smaller
> > > than it really is, so they adjust the sizes of fonts and
> > > icons to be bigger.  This is exactly the symptom that you
> > > are seeing.
> > >
> > > For a quick check, restart your X server with the option
> > > -dpi 100 (or modify your xorg.conf appropriately) and
> > > verify the font sizes in your applications.  If it's
> > > better, then just keep it that way.
> >
> > The -dpi flag did not work for me, but inserting the size into xorg.conf
> > as 330 185 (mm) works fine and the fonts are now nice in Skype as they
> > have been before lifting up this FreeBSD installation into a VM on the
> > same laptop where it run before as host system.
>
> This was said to early :-((
>
> The dpi value is fine now:
>
> $ xdpyinfo | fgrep dots
>   resolution:    146x146 dots per inch
>
> and mostly Skype comes up with 8p fonts, but sometimes it changes
> back to ugly 10p fonts; it seems that there is some relation with the
> following applications on the same desktop KDE 3.5:

After a lot of testing and Google'ing it turned out that for Gnome
applications, even if they are running on a KDE desktop, the correct dpi
information of the X server is not enough; there is some Gnome control
center and especically the 'gnome-appearance-properties' which controls
the setting of the font size has in its 'Detailed' window the value of
dots per inch for the fonts. This was set to 230 and changing it to the
correct value of 146 made all fine now.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211