VirtualBox/fbsd9/amd64 + Ubuntu11.04 guest = crash on install

Bernhard Froehlich decke at bluelife.at
Fri Aug 5 11:45:32 UTC 2011

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 13:58:16 +0300, m irya wrote:
> 2011/8/4 Bernhard Froehlich <decke at freebsd.org>:
>> I think we found the cause of the issue. Could you please throw this
>> patch in emulators/virtualbox-ose/files/ and rebuild the port? And then
>> please try to reproduce the problem without enabling Host I/O caching.
>>
>> http://home.bluelife.at/patches/patch-src-VBox-Runtime-r3-freebsd-fileaio-freebsd.cpp
>>
>> The patch is still untested so please be careful.
>>
>> --
>> Bernhard Froehlich
>> http://www.bluelife.at/
>>

> Back with the test results:
> 1) w/o the patch and Host I/O caching for SATA off: Ubuntu-LTS
> crashes on boot
> 2) w/o the patch and Host I/O caching on: works (so the source of the
> problem is correct)
> 3) with the patch and caching off: works (so the patch somehow makes
> it better)
>
> Now i'm proceeding with another test case: installing Win7 Home Basic:
> 1) w/o the patch and caching off: VBox dies on early installation stage
> 2) w/ the patch and caching off: proceeds further, but still dies at a
> random point of time while copying files

Could you please also generate a stacktrace for this case? I also know
a few Windows 7 crashes that are not related to i/o but happen if you
enable more than 1 vCPU. So you are probably hitting another bug or some
other async i/o bug.

> 3) w/ the patch and caching on: finally installed
>
> i'll do more testing with debug enabled next week.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/