VirtualBox/fbsd9/amd64 + Ubuntu11.04 guest = crash on install

m irya xmirya at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 10:58:18 UTC 2011

2011/8/4 Bernhard Froehlich <decke at freebsd.org>:
> I think we found the cause of the issue. Could you please throw this
> patch in emulators/virtualbox-ose/files/ and rebuild the port? And then
> please try to reproduce the problem without enabling Host I/O caching.
>
> http://home.bluelife.at/patches/patch-src-VBox-Runtime-r3-freebsd-fileaio-freebsd.cpp
>
> The patch is still untested so please be careful.
>
> --
> Bernhard Froehlich
> http://www.bluelife.at/

Back with the test results:
1) w/o the patch and Host I/O caching for SATA off: Ubuntu-LTS crashes on boot
2) w/o the patch and Host I/O caching on: works (so the source of the
problem is correct)
3) with the patch and caching off: works (so the patch somehow makes it better)

Now i'm proceeding with another test case: installing Win7 Home Basic:
1) w/o the patch and caching off: VBox dies on early installation stage
2) w/ the patch and caching off: proceeds further, but still dies at a
random point of time while copying files
3) w/ the patch and caching on: finally installed

i'll do more testing with debug enabled next week.