VirtualBox/fbsd9/amd64 + Ubuntu11.04 guest = crash on install

Bernhard Froehlich decke at bluelife.at
Wed Aug 3 07:44:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 09:28:13 +0300, m irya wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install the Ubuntu 11.04 amd64 guest into the Virtualbox
> built from ports on amd64 machine. The virtualbox itself (not the
> guest OS) crashes at a random points of time during installation on
> SIGILL, e.g. the only message in the console is
>
> Illegal instruction: 4
>
> uname -a is
>
> FreeBSD localhost 9.0-BETA1 FreeBSD 9.0-BETA1 #9: Mon Aug  1 19:34:33
> EEST 2011     root at miryanote2:/sys/amd64/compile/MY-LITE  amd64
>
> The CPU is i5, the whole CPUID is at the bottom of the message, and
> i've tried to build the port with
> - -O2
> - -O2 -march=native
> - -O2 -march=core2
>
> with no luck (all with the stock system gcc 4.2.2pre). Enabling
> debugging in port options doesn't help either - no extra info is
> output. Neither helps --norawr0 --norawr1 --nohwvirtex --nopatm
> --nocsam, it still crashes. In contrast, Ubuntu amd64 10.04.03
> installs and runs w/o problems, but after the recent Ubuntu updates
> are applied (perhaps including the more recent linux kernel version),
> Vbox crashes the same way when booting it.
>
> So,
> 1) anyone familiar with the problem, are there any workarounds?
> 2) how could i at least get the virtualbox processes coredumps to
> somehow analyze the problem (whatever i do, i can't find any after it
> dies)?

Please have a look at VBox.log (~/VirtualBox VMs/<yourvm>/Logs/VBox.log
) which should contain more useful information. The VirtualBox binary
has the suid bit set so coredumps are not produced per default. You need
to set kern.sugid_coredump=1 first.

sysctl kern.sugid_coredump=1

--
Bernhard Fröhlich