AW: AW: AW: rc.d script for running multiple VirtualBox VMs from /etc/rc.conf

Tobias Oberstein tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de
Wed Apr 13 15:50:32 UTC 2011

> > In the meantime, I've implemented stop_cmd as synchronous (it does not
> > return until VM is stopped) and also restart_cmd.
> >
> > I somehow works .. but there seems to be a watchdog in place: I get
> >
> > "watchdog timeout 30s expired ... shutodown NOW"
> >
> > Is it possible to override the 30s watchdog?
>
> Maybe set rcshutdown_timeout (see man rc.conf)?

Ah, ok. Thank you! It works ..

Note: after reading up, above rc.conf variable is the "shutdown soft limit".

There is also a "shutdown hard limit", which can be set

kern.init_shutdown_timeout

and which defaults to 120s.

So when using

rcshutdown_timeout > 120

one needs to set

kern.init_shutdown_timeout >= rcshutdown_timeout

also.

http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/work/shutdown-timeout.txt