VirtualBox 2D acceleration

Rusty Nejdl rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com
Thu Sep 30 13:01:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:25:18 -0300, Mario Lobo wrote:

> 2010/9/30
Rusty Nejdl

>>> Just found something.
>>>
>>> On a win 7 guest.
When I tried to refresh the "Windows Experience
>>> Index", the
>>> VM
was summarily closed midway through the process. No crash or abort

warnings
>>> of any kind. No host disturbance whatsoever however.
>>>

>>> Without the 2d enebled, the refresh runs without problems.

FreeBSD amd 64 8G Ram
>>> Nvidia driver 256.52
>>
>> Mario,

can confirm the exact same behavior. I didn't have the guest additions
installed earlier on Windows 7 so the Windows Experience Index ran
correctly but gave graphics a 1. I installed guest additions in safe
mode with the experimental 3d support and then rebooted. Running the
test this time closed the VM just as you saw.

>> Rusty
>
> But, no
doubt, the 2D accel improved quite A LOT the display in any windows
version.
> I have not tested other OS.
>
> Mario

> Mario,
 I tested
again and found that if I disable 3D acceleration then Windows 7 does
not shut down when refreshing the index. It still shows a 1 though. So,
it seems that this patch might be surfacing something that is broken but
we didn't see until now. I had never seen anything official on 3D
acceleration actually working on FreeBSD so not sure if that even works.

Links:
------
[1] mailto:rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com