VirtualBox 2D acceleration

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 29 21:36:54 UTC 2010

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, Brandon Gooch wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Sean C. Farley <scf at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Here is a patch that adds 2D acceleration.  I am not sure if the
>> VirtualBox_LIBS.freebsd line is needed or not, but it does not cause
>> any apparent regressions.  I tested this with the Nvidia driver, and
>> it shows improvement within the VM.  I do not know how other drivers
>> will work.  EXA may be required over XAA.
>>
>> If the patch does not make it through the mailing list filter, it can
>> also be found here:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~scf/virtualbox-2daccel.patch
>>
>> Sean
>
> I assume that many of us here in the FreeBSD user community would love
> to have improvements regarding speed of an already GREAT
> virtualization platform in VirtualBox; Would it be possible to
> quantify this improvement?

I did not perform any test to truly quantify it.  However, applications
(games :)) that use DirectDraw within the VM are noticeably faster.  For
example, the mouse pointer lags a lot less in higher resolutions such as
1280x1024.  Unfortunately, there is still some sluggish behavior
exhibited.

Overall, I prefer running with it enabled as opposed to without it.

> Also, I assume that patch can be applied to the current port, and
> rebuilt as usual to gain these improvements, correct?

It should.  The patch patches the port's Makefile and adds a new patch
file for use during the building of the port.

Just remember to check "Enable 2D Video Acceleration" in the
configuration of the VM in question.

> Thank you for submitting this!

You are welcome.

Sean