Linux Binaries Core Dump

Sat Sep 25 19:05:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:10:57 -0700 "Thomas D. Dean"
<tomdean at speakeasy.org> wrote:

> I have FreeBSD 8.1-stable as of 9/17.
> Most Linux binaries seem to core dump.  However, a recently built (on
> Ubuntu) "hello world" works.

So I do not think there is a kernel problem (could be, but not very
likely in my opinion).

> I installed the linux_base-f10 port.
> I have linux.ko loaded.
> I have a 2nd disk with Ubuntu 10.04 on the same machine.  I mounted
> the Ubuntu file systems on /Ubuntu.
>
> I want to drop Ubuntu and run only FreeBSD, but, need a few binaries,
> like maple and eagle.
>
> Most linux binaries under FreeBSD emulation core dump.
>
> I deinstalled, cleaned, built, and reinstalled linux_base-f10.

Did you "rm -r /compat/linux" between deinstall and reinstall?

> I did a portupgrade -rR linux_base-f10.
>
> I think I am missing something.  Any ideas?

Do you have anything in the LD_PRELOAD variable? If yes, this is the
problem. If not:
You could install the linux-gentoo port and run a test with binaries
from it. One time like you did before, one time by doing a chroot into
/usr/local/linux-gentoo. If the first one doesn't work and the second
one works, there is something in your environment (variable or
something somewhere below '/')). In this case you could run the test
within ktrace and use the linux-kdump port to get a text-dump of what
was taken where.