R: Re: nspluginwrapper(-devel) and core dumps

Barbara barbara.xxx1975 at libero.it
Mon Sep 20 23:46:32 UTC 2010

>> Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 00:12:22 +0200 (CEST)
>> From: Barbara <barbara.xxx1975 at libero.it>
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-emulation at freebsd.org
>>

>> I have a question about nspluginwrapper and linux-f10-flashplugin10:
>> is it possible to rebuild nspluginwrapper so it doesn't dump core files
>> (npviewer.bin.core)?
>> Is it possible to have it dying "silently"?
>>
>> The main reason it that when it starts dumping core, the whole browser
freezes
>> until the file it's completely written.
>> In case of heavy disk I/O, e.g. upgrading some ports or world, it can take
>> lot of time.
>>
>> The other reason is that those files are really huge. I often get 300mb to
1.2
>> gb core file when I have a discrete number of tab opened.
>> And I don't even play flash-games. And I have flashblock installed. I just
>> watch at some videos on youtube or similar.
>> I know that I could limit the size of coredumps, but this could prevent me
>> getting backtrace from other sw.
>> I'm fearing that the extra stress on hd could hurt it.
>> But please tell me if they are still useful for debugging, despite being
linux
>> binaries.
>>
>> I was thinking about contacting the author to ask him.
>> But the site reported in pkg-descr (http://gwenole.beauchesne.
>> info/projects/nspluginwrapper/) in not reachable for me.
>> And the last news on freshmeat is dated "02 Jan 2009".
>> Does anyone know what happened to him? And what about his project?
>>
>> For what I can understand npviewer.bin and a couple of .so should be
rebuilt
>> on Fedora 10 i386.
>> If that's a problem, I have a VM with F10. Can this help?
>> Could someone suggest me the magic to rebuild the linux part of the port?
>
>Barbara,
>
>While I don't know of any way to make an executable not dump core when
>it crashes, you can tell you shell to not do so. For tcsh (FreeBSD
>default), "limit coredumpsize 0" should do the trick. Of course, no core
>files will be dumped for any executable that crashes, but this may be
>just what you want for the default. Similar commands are available for
>other shells.

I'm trying the suggestion Alexander Kabaev gave me on the previous reply.
Obviously npviewer isn't crashing anymore!
Even if I'm trying hard opening and closing furiously a lot of tab with flash
content.

>BTW, If you have an F10 VM, you might find it VERY popular if you can
>build a current Linux pango. There is a security vulnerability in the
>last F10 RPM of this, so having a patched RPM for it would be nice.

I would be happy to do that, but I don't know about .spec files, which I think
are needed to build rpms.
And probably I'll have a lot of other deps to build, also not available as
rpm.
I'll try to have a look during next weekend, but I think I am not be able to
do that.
I remember about a tool, "checkinstall" if I'm not wrong, I used many years
ago to build rpms from source tarballs.
But I don't know if it's still working. Could it be an idea?

Barbara