Keyboard and Parallels Desktop 6.0 (a new version)

David Evans dave.evans55 at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 17 10:20:20 UTC 2010

 Tbe behaviour of the keyboard has changed under the new
Parallels Desktop 6.0.  Previous versions emulated a PS/2
keyboard, even if the USB controller was installed.

Version 6.0 emulates a USB keyboard if you have
the USB controller installed.

=====

Symptom: keyboard did not respond after booting multi-user.

Booting into single user mode, the keyboard worked.  It
was also possible to load a custom keymap with
"kbdcontrol -l custommap.kbd"

Exiting into multi-user mode, the keyboard did not respond.
The system was still running and it could be shutdown cleanly using
the stop button.

Resolution:

FreeBSD will use a USB keyboard if one is available.

I was using a kernel with a custom keymap embedded in it.
Unfortunately this requires that the keyboard multiplexor
be disabled in the kernel configuration.  I also had
a line in /etc/rc.conf to load my keymap in case I did
not boot from my custom kernel.  The script that loads
the keymap was getting confused by the lack of a keyboard
multiplexor.

Work around:

Uninstall the USB controller in Desktop's hardware configuration
pane.