getting ANY Linux ports to work

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Sun Sep 12 20:18:12 UTC 2010

I have a problem ... I don't neccessarily want it fixed, but if the general
direction of a fix could be explained, I'm willing to do what I need to do to
get past the error myself.

When trying to install either the linus-firefox, I found oout about the way to
get the ports to either f8 or f10, so that's not the problem here.  I began
trying to install linux-firefox (using portmaster), and I set up to use -f10 at
first.  The installation of the X11-toolkit stuff failed in doing the f10 pango,
which kept giving the error:

/compat/linux/usr/bin/pango-querymodules-32: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_intern_static_string
*** Error code 127

I checked, in the FreeBSD pango lib, that's a defined symbol, but in the Linux
libs, it's (while in the lib) an undefined symbol (it needs to link to some
other lib).  I found a web post using Google, by Mel Flynn, which admitted the
error and explained that there was no fix yet.  I tried to deinstall all of my
f10 ports, and replace them with the f8 flavor, but then I get another error
stating that "The component dbuslibs is not defined for LINUX_DIST_SUFFIX=-f8".

So, I can't get either the -f10 nor the -f8 installed, and I don't understand
enough Linuxism to figure out what "pango-querymodules" is going (or not doing).
  Is there any way to get a current Freebsd-Linux port working?

I sure hope I'm using the correct list here.  I didn't want to cross-post, but
couldn't find any freebsd-linux list, either.  Maybe I'll try freebsd-ports if I
fail here.  Any hints, either on the problem or where to ask, gratefully received.