FYI: v4l-linuxulator support in FreeBSD-current now

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Sep 6 13:31:15 UTC 2010

El día Tuesday, January 12, 2010 a las 08:06:44AM +0100, Matthias Apitz escribió:

> El día Saturday, December 05, 2009 a las 02:09:27PM -0500, J.R. Oldroyd escribió:
>
> > On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 22:31:26 +0100, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > in case someone wants to use skype (or flash) with his webcam: it is
> > > possible now in -current (works at least with multimedia/pwcbsd).
> > >
> > > No MFC planned yet. The more you test, the more likely it will be that
> > > it will be MFCed sooner than later.
> > >
> > > Bye,
> > > Alexander.
> >
> > Thanks for committing this, Alexander.
> >
> > A couple of notes.
> >
> > 1.  This code does work on 8.0 and 7.2.  If you are interested in
> >     testing on those systems, you can fetch the files at the URL
> >     below.
> >
> > 2.  The version committed does not contain support for a video
> >     clip list (in the VIDIOCSWIN ioctl).  This is not a problem
> >     for the Linux skype port or browser-based flash camera apps
> >     since these do not use video clipping.
> >
> >     I have added video clip list support in the version on my
> >     site, below, however there are some caveats which are
> >     documented on the web page.  If you are familiar with the use
> >     of a V4L video clip list, please take a look at the URL below
> >     and send feedback.
> >
> > The latest version is at:
> >     http://opal.com/freebsd/sys/compat/linux/
> >
> > My testing is with a pwc(4) based webcam (in the multimedia/pwc
> > port).  This driver has V4L support.  If you test with any other
> > driver, please do send feedback.

All,

I have this V4l working in my laptop since January this year and pwc(4)
and Skype are just fine.

I moved the laptop with dump / restore to a VM on a Winodws7 host (don't
ask me why I do this :-( ) All is working fine and you can see the
results here: http://www.unixarea.de/moveFreeBSDintoVM.txt

If I say all is working fine, there is one small exception: When I plug
in my Phillips USB video cam, the device /dev/video0 appears, pwcview(1)
works fine and also Skype sees and uses the device. The called party see
my picture fine, but locally in Skype I don't have my own picture,
neither in the probe window in Options (there it is only black), and not
in the call embedded in the picture of the called party (there it's only
white). What could be the reason of this?

Thanks

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211