question about virtualbox and windows.

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Mon Oct 25 00:03:54 UTC 2010

In the last episode (Oct 24), Brandon Gooch said:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > If I have a FreeBSD 8 machine with a windows partition that currently
> > works.  is there a way to boot FreeBSD, start virtualbox and run windows
> > from the current functional windows partition..  basically I want to
> > switch over to using dual-boot on this machine to permanently running
> > BSD with windows as a VM when needed.
> >
> > Julian
> > (I did this many years ago with vmware 1.x but not since).

I do the same thing in reverse; I occasionally boot my FreeBSD partition
under Virtualbox on Windows.  Take a look at the raw disk support:
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#rawdisk

You can give your guest full r/w access to your hard drive (a bit tricky
since you need to make sure you never mount the same filesystems on both
guest and host), or only let the guest see specific fdisk partitions.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com