Hope for USB support?

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 03:36:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Hans Petter Selasky
<hselasky at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 October 2010 17:40:47 Brandon Gooch wrote:

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've looked at the VirtualBox USB layer, and adding FreeBSD USB support
>> > should not require too much work. Is anyone interested in paying for
>> > this work?
>> >
>> > --HPS
>>
>> I'm very reliant on VirtualBox, I suspect many on this list are (or
>> eventually will be), so I'm interested in having this support.
>>
>> Hans, would this be better handled by the FreeBSD Foundation, or would
>> a pool of interested users be an appropriate vessel for the funds
>> (assuming it is financially viable -- how much are we talking? ;) ).
>
> Hi,
>
> I was thinking about something like $500-$1000 for adding USB support to
> VirtualBox through LibUSB. Probably you are right that it would be better to
> go through the FreeBSD Foundation, but I would also be fine getting paid
> directly through paypal for example.

Woah. That seems awfully cheap for something that would be so
incredibly useful to have :)

I'm not a person of means, but I can surely come up with something --
I was actually hoping to make my first contribution to the Foundation
this year; I may have to make a tough decision :(

(Like you) I was hoping for a much greater response to your question;
surely we have a few more opinionated -emulation-ers out there?

-Brandon