VirtualBox QT issue

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 05:01:11 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Wayne Sierke <ws at au.dyndns.ws> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with ATI but from the stuff that Google is pulling up
> it looks like it could well be an issue with the ATI drivers. You might
> want to provide some more details - FreeBSD version, xorg configuration
> and log files, and hopefully someone might spot any potential issues you
> could be having with your integrated ATI RADEON HD 3300 Graphics
> (RS780).

The desktop machine is running:

FreeBSD galacticdominator.com 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #1: Mon Oct  4
14:22:18 CDT 2010
adam at galacticdominator.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GALACTICDOMINATOR
amd64
nvidia-driver-195.36.15_1
xorg-server-1.7.5,1

The vm server is running:FreeBSD vbox.galacticdominator.com 8.1-STABLE
FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #1: Thu Oct  7 06:02:07 CDT 2010
adam at vbox.galacticdominator.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
xorg-server-1.7.5,1
xf86-video-ati-6.13.0 / xf86-video-radeonhd-1.3.0_3

Also as another data point, I put the other nvidia back in and with it the
ssh forwarding works properly.  Somewhere I think I heard the OpenGL in the
binary Nvidia is different than the standand OpenGL.  Perhaps that is the
problem.  The attached X.org.log is from the vm host system and there is no
xorg.conf on the system.

> In the meantime you could try running VirtualBox as:
>
>        VirtualBox --rmode image
>
> from http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2001 :
>
>        The image mode uses the builtin Qt graphics mode and don't
>        depends on SDL. Several problems vanish when using this
>        mode, ...

Yes, I've tried both that and the --rmode sdl and it doesn't seem any
different.  Error and visuals are all the same regardless of option.

--
Adam Vande More