VirtualBox QT issue

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 19:13:09 UTC 2010

Not sure this is technically an emulation issue, but have only encountered
on Vbox.  The issue goes like this, I run Vbox on another computer and the
VM's are headless.  Occasionally, I'll start the VirtualBox GUI client
remotely(ssh -Y) to manage settings, etc.  The remote system also used an
Nvidia card like my desktop.  This worked well until my board died and I got
a new one with an integrated ATI RADEON HD 3300 Graphics (RS780).

Now when I start a VirtualBox remotely, and click on the Settings button of
any VM, the VirtualBox GUI seg faults with the following error msg:

Qt WARNING: QGLContext::makeCurrent(): Cannot make invalid context current.
zsh: segmentation fault  VirtualBox

if you run "truss VirtualBox" the GUI will not even open with an "Effective
UID is not root" error.

The VirtualBox GUI runs properly when it's local, eg on physical
machine/monitor or over VNC.

--
Adam Vande More