VirtualBox 2D acceleration

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 7 18:59:51 UTC 2010

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010, Daichi GOTO wrote:

>>> I did test to check 2D acceleration effect with this patch, and 2D
>>> benchmarks shows about the same index. No effect appears.  I want to
>>> know that this 2D acceleration feature works for what and thats
>>> effect actually. Someone has any ideas?
>>
>> Did you install the guest additions experimental drivers to support
>> 3D?
>
> Yeah. I have tried to install guest addition twice to test with 3D
> support and without 3D support. And both cases are the same result. No
> effect appears.
>
> And FreeBSD VirtualBox looks like not to support 3D feature yet.

This is what you should see if everything is supported from VirtualBox's
standpoint:
# VBoxTestOGL --test 2D --test 3D --log vboxtest.log
# grep Testing vboxtest.log
00:00:00.001 Testing 3D Support:
00:00:00.040 Testing 3D Succeeded!
00:00:00.040 Testing 2D Support:
00:00:00.065 Testing 2D Succeeded!

>> What graphics hardware do you use?  I have an Nvidia 8800 GTS.  I do
>> not
>
> % dmesg | grep -i nvidia
> nvidia0: <GeForce 7300 GT> on vgapci0
> %
>
>> know how well this option works for other hardware.  Also, what type
>> of acceleration are you using for your X driver (check

> % cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i nvidia

Mine (http://people.freebsd.org/~scf/Xorg.0.log) is mostly the same except I
have this:
(II) Oct 06 10:21:03 NVIDIA: Reserving 768.00 MB of virtual memory for indirect memory
(II) Oct 06 10:21:03 NVIDIA:     access.

Also, I edited the x11/nvidia-driver port to use v256.53 of the driver.
It is the first truly supported FreeBSD amd64 driver from nvidia.

> How did you setup your xorg.conf? or nvidia-settings??

My xorg.conf:  http://people.freebsd.org/~scf/xorg.conf
You can ignore the Non-HAL and mouse stuff.

> I don't know how to setup to use EXA instead of XAA.
> The 'Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"' are affected for intel and radeon
> driver, not for nvidia.

True.  Ignore my comment on that.

Sean
--