VirtualBox 2D acceleration

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 1 15:14:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010, Daichi GOTO wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:21:31 -0500 (CDT) "Sean C. Farley" <scf at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> Here is a patch that adds 2D acceleration.  I am not sure if the
>> VirtualBox_LIBS.freebsd line is needed or not, but it does not cause
>> any apparent regressions.  I tested this with the Nvidia driver, and
>> it shows improvement within the VM.  I do not know how other drivers
>> will work.  EXA may be required over XAA.
>>
>> If the patch does not make it through the mailing list filter, it can
>> also be found here:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~scf/virtualbox-2daccel.patch
>
> Thanks great work!  (With guest os XP and Win7, it looks like working,
> maybe... At least 2D checkbox is there)

You are welcome.

> I did test to check 2D acceleration effect with this patch, and 2D
> benchmarks shows about the same index. No effect appears.  I want to
> know that this 2D acceleration feature works for what and thats effect
> actually. Someone has any ideas?

Did you install the guest additions experimental drivers to support 3D?
What graphics hardware do you use?  I have an Nvidia 8800 GTS.  I do not
know how well this option works for other hardware.  Also, what type of
acceleration are you using for your X driver (check
/var/log/Xorg.0.log).  EXA may be required over XAA.  At least, some
type of acceleration is needed.

I am new to this option, so that is all I can surmise.

Sean
--
scf at FreeBSD.org