VirtualBox-3.1.4 for stable?

Bernhard Froehlich decke at bluelife.at
Tue Mar 16 18:48:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:14:55 -0700, "Kevin Oberman" <oberman at es.net>
wrote:
> I am currently running the devel version, 3.1.51.r27187 on my 8-stable
> system. Seems to be working fine. I see that 3.1.4 is now in the main
> ports.
>
> Am I better off staying with devel or should I force it to 3.1.4?

The devel version was only to test the new memory allocation code of vbox.
It is based on the trunk version of the virtualbox SVN repository so this
is development code and should not be used in production. We backported the
memory allocation patch to 3.1.x and commited it with the update to 3.1.4
so this is the latest stable code and what you can trust in.

If there are new problems coming up as the ones that are currently
reported for latest stable kernels the chances are good that _both_
versions are affected in the same way because the FreeBSD specific code is
mostly the same for both versions at the moment.

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/