acroread9 on f10 still fails (FBSD8-STABLE)

Tue Jan 26 08:19:28 UTC 2010

Quoting George Mamalakis <mamalos at eng.auth.gr> (from Mon, 25 Jan 2010
18:32:38 +0200):

> Hi guys,
>
> I am running FBSD 8-Stable on my laptop, and the default package
> used for linux compatibility is f10. When I try to run acroread9 I
> get the following messages:
>
> (acroread:18162): Gtk-WARNING **:
> /usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libxfce.so: ELF file OS ABI
> invalid
[...]

It complains that the FreeBSD version of this gtk engine does not work
in the Linux GTK. You can ignore this.

> then acroread starts, and after a few seconds it crashes giving the
> following message:
>
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'RSException'
>
> I have googled it and saw that this is a known problem since FBSD
> migrated to f10 and FBSD8 was still -CURRENT, and I have seen a few
> mails regarding this issue on this list on around the June 2009. The
> thing is that acroread9 still does not work, and I was wondering if
> there is any progress yet on that issue.

Nobody is working on this. Feel free to submit patches.

> my config is:
>
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD myhost.example.com 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0: Fri Jan
>  8 17:22:33 EET 2010
> root at myhost.example.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM  i386
>
> # sysctl -a | grep linux
> hw.snd.compat_linux_mmap: 0
> security.jail.param.linux.oss_version: 0
> security.jail.param.linux.osrelease: 65
> security.jail.param.linux.osname: 65
> compat.linux.oss_version: 198144
> compat.linux.osrelease: 2.6.16
> compat.linux.osname: Linux
>
> # ls /var/db/pkg | grep -i linux
> linux-f10-atk-1.24.0/
> linux-f10-cairo-1.8.0/
> linux-f10-expat-2.0.1/
> linux-f10-fontconfig-2.6.0/
> linux-f10-gdk-pixbuf-0.22.0/
> linux-f10-gtk2-2.14.7/
> linux-f10-hicolor-icon-theme-0.5/
> linux-f10-jpeg-6b/
> linux-f10-libxml2-2.7.3_2/
> linux-f10-pango-1.22.3/
> linux-f10-png-1.2.37/
> linux-f10-tiff-3.8.2/
> linux-f10-xorg-libs-7.4_1/
> linux-nvu-1.0_1/
> linux_base-f10-10_2/
> linux_base-fc-4_15/

You should remove fc-4 (after that you maybe have to reinstall f10).

> Acroread8 works fine (the
> "/usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libxfce.so: ELF file OS ABI
> invalid" message is still displayed, but acroread8 does not crash),
> but I guess that at some moment it would be wise for acroread9 to
> also work seamlessly. Hence, I am not sure whether there is
> something wrong with my configuration or if the bug is still valid.

It is not a bug, it is a missing feature.