7.3-STABLE and Linux version of SIMetrix

Fri Dec 31 13:48:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 08:51:24 +0100 Andre Albsmeier
<Andre.Albsmeier at siemens.com> wrote:

> I try to get the Linux version of SIMetrix (a very nice circuit
> simulator) running. Everything looks fine: It starts, the GUI
> comes up, you can draw schematics and so on. But when it comes
> to simulation, the (SIMetrix-)console says:
>
> *** Fatal error, out of memory ***
> Could not allocate shared heap
> Exception occurred while executing script command Run

Is there something in the dmesg output? In case it tries to execute an
unsupported ioctl/syscall it should show up there. If not I suggest to
give 8.x a try, it has an improved linuxulator.

> I started to play around with the SHMxxx options in the
> kernel but nothing changed.

I think this is more emualtion related, than SHM.

> Any ideas how to debug this? This is FreeBSD-7.3-STABLE.

Do not expect much to happen on 7.x. 8.x may be possible, as there is
similar code in HEAD as in 8.x, but 7.x is too much different. Apart
from that: you could try dtrace.

> If anyone wants to try it out: Go to

As it is simulation related, the person who wants to try it needs to
have knowledge of circuit design at least to a degree, that he can
prodoce something to simulate... isn't it?