misc/149335: shell script runs on Linux but not on freebsd

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Aug 9 07:26:12 UTC 2010

Paul Lambert <eb30750 at gmail.com> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Paul <eb30750 at gmail.com> wrote:
 > > > Thanks Oliver
 > > > I can just get the i386 vmware version and should install and run.
 > > > Last question is there a x86_64 bit Linux module?
 > >
 > > No, unfortunately x86_64 linux binaries are not supported.
 > >
 > > > Is one I'm development?
 > >
 > > I'm afraid I don't know.  I suggest you try asking in the
 > > freebsd-emulation at freebsd.org mailing list.
 >
 > I was well on my way of installing VMware-Player for i386 linux on FreeBSD
 > until I encountered these error messages.
 >
 > Aug  8 20:44:09 BRSINC-VM02 kernel: linux: pid 12889 (dd): ioctl fd=0,
 > cmd=0x6d02 ('m',2) is not implemented
 > Aug  8 20:44:09 BRSINC-VM02 kernel: linux: pid 12896 (dd): ioctl fd=0,
 > cmd=0x6d02 ('m',2) is not implemented
 >
 > The install script extracted the installer and began installing the rpms.  I
 > have attached the verbose output file.
 >
 > At this point should this be considered a linux emulator bug and reported as
 > such?

As I said, I don't use vmware and can't help you with that.
But I'm pretty sure that others are using it and might have
encountered the same problems.  Please take this issue to
the freebsd-emulation at freebsd.org mailing list.

Best regards
  Oliver

"I learned Java 3 years before Python.  It was my language of
choice.  It took me two weekends with Python before I was more
productive with it than with Java." -- Anthony Roberts