NFS mount RPC error when loading kernel after PXE boot(was "Re: Vbox/PXE booting works (fwd)")

Lawrence Stewart lstewart at freebsd.org
Sun Apr 25 15:15:59 UTC 2010

On 04/25/10 23:28, Daniel Braniss wrote:
>> Hi Danny,

>> [snip]

>> [snip]
>>
>>> have you tried your pxe/diskless outside vmware?
>>
>> Yes, see above. The NFS configuration works perfectly when used inside a
>> vm running FreeBSD or from a physical machine. It only fails when I try
>> to PXE boot the vm.
>
> i'll refrase question:
> 	can you pxe boot a diskless client via nfs?
>
> the 'above' just says that you can nfs access, which was not my question.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. By "using a separate physical
machine", I meant that I can successfully PXE boot the machine on my LAN
which pulls the kernel over NFS and happily mounts root over NFS i.e.
answer to your question is yes. The second part of my testing was using
the mount_nfs command manually on the command line of a vbox vm which
was booted into the fixit cd's fixit shell.

Everything points to my config being good and a weird loader related
issue. Assuming you are able to successfully pxe boot FreeBSD could I
ask you to please:

- Tell me which version of FreeBSD your pxeboot sources are built from

- Make your FreeBSD pxeboot binary available for me to download from
somewhere so I can try it in case it makes any difference

Thanks for your continued input, I'm really at a loss.

Cheers,
Lawrence