NFS mount RPC error when loading kernel after PXE boot(was "Re: Vbox/PXE booting works (fwd)")

Lawrence Stewart lstewart at freebsd.org
Sun Apr 25 07:14:45 UTC 2010

Hi Danny and all,

This does indeed work as advertised, thanks for pointing me at this
information.

The new issue I'm dealing with is that the pxe boot loader now happily
runs, gets all the appropriate DHCP options and then stalls trying to
mount the NFS share to pull the kernel from. I've verified that the NFS
configuration works, both using a separate physical machine and by
firing up the VM I'm trying to PXE boot with the fixit CD and mounting
the share from the fixit shell i.e. the problem seems to be localised to
the boot loader.

When pxe booting, it gets to printing the "pxe_open:" lines with correct
server addr, path and gateway IP. It then stalls for a few mins where
you would normally see the spinning "|" character, and then prints "NFS
MOUNT RPC error: 60". It then appears to keep trying to load the kernel
without success for a substantial period of time (more than 10 mins). It
eventually gives up and dumps me at the loader prompt i.e.

can't load 'kernel'
Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
OK

Looking at tcpdump on the NFS server, I see a number of UDP
request/replies between port 1023 on the VM and port 111 on the server.
After about 5 such exchanges, the Vm tries directing queries from port
1023 to port 2304 on the server which triggers ICMP port unreachables to
go back.

I also tested with pxeboot binaries from 7.3, 8-stable and head - all
have the same problem.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before? What am I doing differently that
stops me from being able to do this whilst others seem to be able to?

Cheers,
Lawrence