Serial ports under VirtualBox

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at mittelstaedt.us
Thu Apr 22 23:29:37 UTC 2010

Hi All,

  Host is FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT  Ports are from CVS done 4/17

  VirtualBox 3.1.6 OSE with FreeBSD setup as the host OS

  Hardware is dual Xeon 2.0Mhz

  Client OS is Windows XP SP3

XP runs great except for the serial ports.  I have an app that calls
pagers and dials a USR 56k Sportster

  I can cu -l /dev/cuau0 -s 57600 to the modem and send AT commands
to it just fine.

When I first tried accessing the serial port from the XP session it failed
completely.  Then I found a patch on http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1548
and applied this and now I can talk to the modem from the XP session.

However there is a problem with opening and closing the serial
port.

I can run VirtualBox, boot the XP session, go into Hyperterminal,
open the assigned com port, send at commands to the modem, get responses,
dial into my remote, everything works fine.  But then once I close the
session
and disconnect from the COM port from Hyperterminal, when I try to
reopen the port I get nothing.

If I reboot the XP session within the virtual machine I still get nothing.

I have to close VirtualBox down, then restart it before I can
access the serial port again.

Any suggestions?

Ted