Call for testers: VirtualBox 3.1.4 update

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Tue Apr 20 20:42:33 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 20 April 2010 19:27:15 Brandon Gooch wrote:

> > of

> >> Hey man, would it be possible for you to enable debugging options on
> >> your machine, start your VMs running, then switch to ttyv0, and let it
> >> run for while? This is the only way I can get a clean crash dump and
> >> generate any data -- I've never been able to "cleanly" crash my system
> >> running Xorg (it usually freezes).
> >>
> >> FYI, I'm running multiple VMs (Windows XP, 7), and I've experienced
> >> "freezes" running multiple VMs since using VirtualBox (which despite
> >> the lockups, I'm SOOOOO thankful to have on FreeBSD -- thanks again to
> >> all the VBox devs!!!!)...
> >>
> >> -Brandon
> >
> > Brandon,
> >
> > Mario Lobo and I have been working on this in the background and we found
> > that multiple cpu support in Virtualbox appears broken.  Any VM with more
> > than 1 CPU will freeze.
>
> Interesting, however: each of my virtual machines only has 1 cpu...
>
> > Mario was also able to find that using unganged memory also confuses
> > Virtualbox.  He enabled that in his motherboard and Virtualbox became
> > more stable.
>
> I'll have to check this out on the Dell 755 with 8 GBs of RAM I'm
> running. Though, I don't recall seeing a setting for this in the BIOS.
>
> > I have been able to run 6 VM's at the same time, with compositing
> > enabled, and 3D acceleration in the VM as well, all with 1 CPU per VM
> > only.
>
> That's great! Are you getting 3D acceleration in Windows? How?
>
> Actually, I've had ZERO lockups since I started following 8-STABLE
> (updating weekly), using the latest 64-bit NVIDIA drivers, and
> installing the most recent VirtualBox port (3.1.6_3 from
> emulation/virtualbox-ose, emulation/virtualbox-ose-kmod).
>
> Thanks for the information and suggestions!
>
> -Brandon

Just complementing Rusty's comments.

As far as I know, this ganged/unganged thing is specific to Phenom processor.

I too am following 8-STABLE/Nvidia BUT I am running the Vbox devel port
because of the MAC support. I always have to adjust the code because
VboxGlobal.cpp is checking for Xinerama, which compiles fine but when running
it doesn't find any Xinerama functions, so I simply take it off the code and
it runs fine, and I don't use or need Xinerama anyway.

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br