problem with VBOX 3.1.6 on 8stable

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Thu Apr 15 02:02:52 UTC 2010

Mario Lobo wrote:
> I hope anyone has a suggestion for something I didn't try.

I have been trying before to downgrade the port version back to the time
when I know it was working and I still observed the hangs. This vouches
for the theory of faulty kernel change.
One other thing to try would be to try various kernel versions around
the time when instability was introduced and find what change triggered
it (svn revision).

For example these two revisions can be taken as interval limits (in
branch stable-8):
r202402 | marius | 2010-01-15 08:54:59 -0800 (Fri, 15 Jan 2010) | 9 lines
r203748 | zec | 2010-02-10 00:50:06 -0800 (Wed, 10 Feb 2010) | 13 lines

First try both to make sure the problem exists in the latter and not in
the former.
And then dividing by two you can find the culprit revision.
This interval contains ~1200 revisions, and actually much fewer because
not all changes go into stable-8. So it should take around 10 tries to
figure out.
Knowing which change caused the problem can give some insight into what
the problem may be.

Sorry for offering only such a tedious way, I can't see any better one
at this time.
I would do this myself, but I can't since I have no space machine to do
this.

Yuri