Need help pxebooting FreeBSD under virtualbox-ose-3.1.6_2

Lawrence Stewart lstewart at freebsd.org
Mon Apr 12 02:30:34 UTC 2010

Hi all,

As the subject suggests, I'm having issues getting PXE booting working.
I have a working PXE/NFS setup (verified using a physical machine on the
LAN) that doesn't work in vbox.

The vm is set to use bridged networking mode and the PCnet-FAST III
adapter type. I've experimented with various permutations of
FreeBSD/Freebsd 64bit guest OS version, IO APIC, PAE/NX, VT-x and nested
paging, all to no avail.

The pxeboot code I'm predominantly testing with is compiled from a
recent version of head. I have also tried pxeboots from the 8-CURRENT
and 8-STABLE eras. The vm starts up, pulls the pxeboot file via TFTP and
then errors out with the message "TFTP download complete, but\nUnable to
load file."

I've tested on Windows XP vbox and it gets a bit further, successfully
running the pxeboot code, but craps out when it gets to loading the
kernel. I tested with both recent head and 8-stable kernels and it just
freezes when when the '|' character shows up and is about to start spinning.

If I could get the FreeBSD vbox vm to the point where it too can boot
our pxeboot code, that would be a great step.

I found the thread at [1] and tried the suggestions in the linked
thread. Applying the etherboot patch to etherboot distributed with vbox
makes no difference at all, and Kib's patched pxeboot code [2] kind of
manages to successfully run after the same "Unable to load file" message
is printed, but is completely broken, spewing messages about "netboot:
couldn't probe pxenet0" and "pxe_open: netif_open() failed" to the
console. I'm guessing the trick is somehow related to the vbox PXE boot
rom not interacting well with our pxeboot code, but I have no idea how
to resolve this.

Any words of wisdom on how to get this working? Anyone even managed to
successfully pxeboot FreeBSD in vbox?

Cheers,
Lawrence

[1]