VirtualBox: vboxnetflt related problems

Fredrik Lindberg fli at shapeshifter.se
Mon Oct 19 05:10:12 UTC 2009

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 23:03:06 +0200 (CEST), Juergen Lock
<nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de> wrote:
> In article <4ADB515A.4050309 at shapeshifter.se> you write:
>>David Naylor wrote:
>>>
>>> 3) bridging doesn't work when connecting to bridge0 or tap0:
>>> # netstat -w1 -I tap0
>>>             input         (tap0)           output
>>>    packets  errs      bytes    packets  errs      bytes colls
>>>          0     0          0          0     0          0     0
>>>          0     0          0          0     2        151     0
>>> This happen with and without giving tap0 an IP address.
>>
>>This is because vboxnetflt uses ng_ether and the interaction between
>>ng_ether/bridge/tap/vboxnetflt doesn't work.
>
> Hmm, would it make sense to add back the tuntap code as a special
> case for when someone selects a tap interface for `bridged'
> networking?
>
>  I haven't looked if thats even doable easily enough with all the
> conditional compilation going on tho. (VBOX_WITH_NETFLT...)

Yes, the tuntap stuff and the vboxnetflt stuff seemed to both be
controlled by VBOX_WITH_NETFLT which makes life difficult :)

I think the bridge case might be fixable, there are explicit calls to the
bridge code inside ng_ether, but somewhere, something goes wrong.

Briefly looking at if_tap.c, I see that it calls ether_attach so
ng_ether *should* pick up frames from it - I need to look at this
further.

Fredrik