Emulation of Linux V4L ioctls

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Nov 24 18:52:08 UTC 2009

> Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:26:25 -0800
> From: Julian Elischer <julian at elischer.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-emulation at freebsd.org
>
> .. videodev.h
>

>  > > There is indeed no license in this file.
>  >
>  > And this fact makes it a little bit hard to import into FreeBSD, at
>  > least for a person like me with not so much knowledge about
>  > copyright/license stuff. Someone out there (@FreeBSD.org) who is
>  > willing to put some official weight into this issue?
>

> As I mentioned before, I have emails from the authors of this file
> to the effect that as an API definition they believe it is
> uncopyrightable, and in fact that they specifically want no
> copyright on it so that other people can use it. (e.g. us).

Julian,

If the author could add a note that the file is believed not subject to
copyright but, if it is determined to be, that it is dedicated to the
public domain, that would cover the issue quite well. (E.g. the "sticky"
bit was explicitly dedicated to the public domain.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)