Emulation of Linux V4L ioctls

J.R. Oldroyd fbsd at opal.com
Mon Nov 23 17:54:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:42:51 +0100, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:

> Quoting "J.R. Oldroyd" <fbsd at opal.com> (from Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:36:22 -0500):
>
> [videodev.h]
>
> > There is indeed no license in this file.
>
> And this fact makes it a little bit hard to import into FreeBSD, at
> least for a person like me with not so much knowledge about
> copyright/license stuff. Someone out there (@FreeBSD.org) who is
> willing to put some official weight into this issue?

I would also like to hear from someone more into license issues
about this.

It would be best to keep the identical file, if possible, to
avoid possible divergence problems.  However, if needed, I could
generate a new file, e.g., linux_videodev_compat.h, that contains
just the required #defines but using structure templates that are
size compatible.  I could determine the sizes using a program
such as you describe below.

But first... any license folk care to comment on this?

> [structure compatibility between i386 and amd64]
>
> I've seen the use of non-fixed size variables (e.g. int). It would be
> better to verify that they are the same size. Can you please write a
> little program which includes the header and prints out the size of
> all structures. This way we can run it on amd64 and i386 and compare.

Such a program may be useful for the above reason, but I believe
it is already established that the structures are compatible between
the two platforms.

My test app is the net/skype port which installs:
/usr/local/share/skype/skype: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.4.1, stripped

I am running this on an amd64 with the code using the same
videodev.h.  The video is working.  Ergo, the structures appear
to be compatible.

	-jr