VirtualBox 3.0.51.r22902 on CURRENT/amd64 leads system freeze within bridge networking

Daichi GOTO daichi at ongs.co.jp
Thu Nov 12 00:33:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:00:45 +0100
Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Daichi GOTO wrote:
> > I have tried to use VirtualBox 3.0.51.r22902 within bridge
> > networking. In any ways, VirtualBox gets system freeze.
>
> I'm using virtualbox-3.0.51.r23073 and it works fine, though with a
> difference to your setup:

How differences bewteen r22902 and r23073?
# your original port?

> >   Environment:
> >     VirtualBox 3.0.51.r22902
> >     FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT (Fri Nov  6 10:09:25 JST 2009) amd64
>
> Mine is 8.0-RC2
>
> >     Core2Quad Q8300 (xVT not supported version)
>
> VT is supported on mine.

humm... I guess VT is key point of this issue.
Can anyone use bridge networking with non-VT version CPU?

> >   Method #1
> >     kldload vboxdrv
> >     kldload vboxnetflt
> >     kldload vboxnetadp
> >     VirtualBox -> Bridge Networking -> choose of re0
> >         (re0 is used on host)
> >     GuestOS starts boot and host gets freeze immediately
>
> I'm only loading vboxdrv and vboxnetflt.

I tried only loading vboxdrv and vboxnetflt, and the
same result.

> My guest is WinXP 32-bit.

Sure, the same.

> Are you sure it's a freeze and not a panic/break to debugger in text
> console?

It looks like a freeze not a panic, but I do not know well.
How can I get a debugger console mode in X freezing situation?
It there something of technique to get it?

Daichi GOTO
CEO | ONGS Inc.
81-42-316-7945 | daichi at ongs.co.jp | http://www.ongs.co.jp
LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/daichigoto