[Call For Testing] VirtualBox for FreeBSD! take 3

Frank Jahnke jahnke at sonatabio.com
Sun May 24 15:11:53 UTC 2009

> We rolled a new version with a fix for all users where
> has problems with kernel load and unload.

Sadly this does not work for me.  When VBox is freshly installed, the
kernel loads fine.  After a reboot kldloading vboxdrv.ko still locks
the system solid.

After the fresh VB install, I loaded the GuestAdditions.  The mouse
control works fine, but W2K Server reports a video driver error.  So I
am unable to change screen resolution, which currently is set very low
and is not really usable.  I've not tested the clipboard or any other
feature.  Also, the Ethernet connection using the default Ethernet card
drops a lot of bits (on the order of 60%).

The computer is an old dual CPU Athlon with 2GB ECC/Reg memory running
i386 7-STABLE (May 15), xorg-7.4.1, Gnome 2.26.1,
nvidia-driver-173.14.18. The VM has 750M Memory allocated to it, and
the VBox video driver has 64M assigned, both of which should be plenty.

I'd be happy to supply other information if asked, but testing is
complicated by the fact that the lock-ups always take me an hour or two
to fix.  Unlike other crashes, these seem to be rather destructive, and
it takes a surprising time to fix things that fsck does not get (like
Gnome stuff).

Suggestions would be most appreciated.

Frank