qemu+kqemu: hard lockup with windows guest (32-bit on 64-bit)

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Sat Mar 28 11:30:51 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 03:17:29PM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 27/03/2009 14:58 Chagin Dmitry said the following:
> > On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 01:53:39PM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> >> System:
> >> stable/7 amd64 r190321
> >> qemu-0.10.0_1
> >> kqemu-kmod-devel-1.4.0.p1_1
> >>
> >> I experience rare complete system lockups while running windows (98, win2k) guests
> >> with kqemu enabled. The guests are obviously 32-bit.
> >> I can't provide any diagnostics because it's a total freeze and there is no useful
> >> info after rebooting.
> >>

> > SW_WATCHDOG can help you with debugging of similar bugs.
>
> It's an interesting idea.
> Now that you mentioned it I realized something else - I have a hardware watchdog
> and it is tested to work, but this time it didn't fire. So either watchdogd
> process was able to keep running or even chipset for so screwed so badly that it
> could not reset system. I have hard time believing in the second case, but the
> first one is also under suspicion - system didn't respond to any input (even power
> button press), it couldn't be pinged, etc.

Is that an smp box and do the hangs happen soon after starting up qemu?
If yes there's a remote chance your box doesn't like the ltr that the
remnants of the kqemu amd64 tss fixup code still do once on cpu 0 - I've
just updated the kqemu ports to only add that code on OSVERSIONs where its
actually needed, so you could try updating your kqemu.  (I wanted to do
that soon after 7.1 went out already but somehow forgot about it again
until I saw this thread...)

 HTH,
	Juergen