qemu+kqemu: hard lockup with windows guest (32-bit on 64-bit)

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri Mar 27 06:17:33 PDT 2009

on 27/03/2009 14:58 Chagin Dmitry said the following:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 01:53:39PM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> System:
>> stable/7 amd64 r190321
>> qemu-0.10.0_1
>> kqemu-kmod-devel-1.4.0.p1_1
>>
>> I experience rare complete system lockups while running windows (98, win2k) guests
>> with kqemu enabled. The guests are obviously 32-bit.
>> I can't provide any diagnostics because it's a total freeze and there is no useful
>> info after rebooting.
>>

> SW_WATCHDOG can help you with debugging of similar bugs.

It's an interesting idea.
Now that you mentioned it I realized something else - I have a hardware watchdog
and it is tested to work, but this time it didn't fire. So either watchdogd
process was able to keep running or even chipset for so screwed so badly that it
could not reset system. I have hard time believing in the second case, but the
first one is also under suspicion - system didn't respond to any input (even power
button press), it couldn't be pinged, etc.

--
Andriy Gapon