wine without X

Barnaby Scott bds at waywood.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 10:06:47 PDT 2009

I hope this is the right place to be asking...

I have been trying to figure out a way to install wine, but without X. I
tried installing from ports, but I couldn't see an obvious way to to avoid
all the mainly X-related dependencies being built. Searching around I see
there is some talk of being able to do this with Linux, but I am not
nearly knowledgeable enough to be confident mucking about with Makefiles
etc to try and reproduce the necessary steps. Surely someone else (who
knows what they're doing!) has trodden this path before me?

In case you're wondering why I want to do this, it is for a render slave
for the renderer Vray. It consists of a single Windows executable which
has absolutely no visible output at all for the user - it is not strictly
a Windows service, but is more or less daemon-like.

I know it works with wine under Linux, so assume it will work under
FreeBSD, but I *really* want to avoid installing X on all the boxes in
question, as it is so clearly unnecessary in this case. Any pointers
gratefully received.

Barnaby Scott