qemu 0.10.0 - cd/dvd drive access problems

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 9 14:08:02 PDT 2009

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 18:00:25 -0700
> Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> One of my main reasons for wanting to install qemu was to be able to
>> use Windows tools for things like archiving DVDs. Now that I have qemu
>> working pretty well for most things, I tried to start using it for
>> DVD/CD access and it's not working well at all. I installed XP via a
>> typical installation CD, so I thought I had it made in this area. :(
>>
>> I'm using '-cdrom /dev/acd0' the same way I did for the install. If
>> there is a disc in the drive when I start qemu I can "see" the disc,
>> and copy some small files from it. However trying to copy/read large
>> files (say, 1G) doesn't work at all. I get an error saying that sector
>> of the disc cannot be read (this is with known-good discs). I tried
>> with and without the cd-rom DMA compile-time OPTION, no luck. If I
>> remove the disc from the drive, or if there is no disc in the drive
>> when I start qemu, inserting one after it starts produces no results.
>> Every time I try to access the drive I get the "Please insert a disc
>> into drive D:" error message.
>>
>> I'm using a fairly up to date 8-current as the host, btw.
>>

>> Any suggestions?
>>

> Do you have vfs_aio in your kernel or as a module?

I'm running the aio module, which seems to incorporate the vfs_aio stuff,
yes.

> I've run openSUSE in qemu and used the DVD drive with no problems at
> all; I have vfs_aio in my kernel.

Are you talking about 'options         VFS_AIO'?

> One thing I've noticed is that the DVD drive is locked and I can't open
> the drawer once qemu starts, even if there is no disc in the drive.
> Apparently openSUSE acceses the drive (i.e. locks it) even when it's
> empty.

I forgot to mention this bit. If I click the eject menu option on the
CD/DVD in windows it doesn't actually eject it like native windows does,
but it does allow me to remove the disc manually. After that even if I do
reinsert a disc the windows guest doesn't "see" it.

Thanks for the response,

Doug