Help configuring qemu networking tap mode

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 00:40:05 PST 2009

On 3/7/09, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>  > Doug Barton wrote:
>  >> So I'm past the Network Install phase and we're now finalizing the
>  >> install. :)
>  >
>  > Well, bad news ... the install is finished, but networking is not
>  > working. If I do user mode networking it gets an IP address but can't
>  > see the outside world. If I follow your instructions from the previous
>  > e-mail it never gets an IP address at all, the network status thing
>  > says "limited or no connectivity."
>

> Turns out that there is a page on the wiki that has some good
>  suggestions, although it could use a bit of tweaking. I got networking
>  up by doing this in the host:

The How To was based on  that wiki page and several others.  Plus my
own creation of not depending on the qemu startup/shutdown scripts to
add/remove the tap device to/from the bridge.

>  myif=bge0
>
>  ifconfig tap create
>  ifconfig bridge create
>  ifconfig bridge0 addm tap0 addm $myif up

As you found out you need to add your hosts interface (bge0, rl0) to the bridge.

>  Then I was able to start qemu with the tap command line and now
>  networking works.

I was at work and couldn't answer your early questions, but it is good
to hear that  you were able to make it work.

On 3/7/09, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
>  Finally it looks to me like I'll need to set up samba on the host if I
>  want the XP guest to have access to files that are not in the image,
>  correct? The man page mentions the -smb option for the user mode
>  network stack, will that work for tap too?

You'll need to setup samba to allow the XP guest access to the files
on the host system.  I haven't tried the -smb option under a tap
setup, it might work.

Scot