Help configuring qemu networking tap mode

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 7 15:13:23 PST 2009

Scot,

Thanks again for showing us all the way with this. I am trying to set
mine up now but I'm running into a few "issues." I'll add some notes
below.

The problem I'm having right now is that the windows installer seems
to be permanently stuck on the "Installing Network" phase. The
indicator in the bottom right of the window is doing it's thing, and
the message in the main window is changing, but the progress bar for
"Installing Network" has not budged.

Scot Hetzel wrote:

> Qemu Tap Network Setup:
>
> 1. Setup tap* networking in rc.conf:
>
> cloned_interfaces="bridge0 tap0 tap1"
> ifconfig_bridge0="addm rl10 addm tap0 addm tap1"

I changed rl10 here to bge0 since that's the nic I have. Am I missing
something?

> ifconfig_tap0="up"
> ifconfig_tap1="up"
>
> 2. modify /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> net.link.tap.up_on_open=1
> net.link.tap.user_open=1
>
> 3. create a tap group in /etc/group and add the users who can access
> the /dev/tap* to the tap group.
>
> 4. add entry to /etc/devfs.conf for tap*
>
> # /dev/tap*
> perm tap0 0660
> own tap0 root:tap
> perm tap1 0660
> own tap1 root:tap
>
> 5. reboot system

FWIW, you may be able to get away without rebooting here. You can run
each of those sysctl commands on the command line, then do
'/etc/rc.d/netif start' and it should pick up your new settings.

Also, if you're using a stripped down kernel you'll need the if_tap,
if_bridge and bridgestp modules.

> Installing Windows XP on QEMU:
>
> 1. Create disk image:
>
> qemu-img create -f raw Windows_XP.img 8G
>
> 2. start qemu to install Windows XP:
>
> Place the Windows XP CD into the cdrom drive, and execute qemu:
>
> qemu -name windows_xp -localtime -m 512 -net
> nic,macaddr=52:54:DE:AD:BE:EF,model=rtl8139 -net
> tap,ifname=tap0,script=no -hda Windows_XP.img -cdrom /dev/acd0 -boot d

I assumed that the above should have been one long line, so that's how
I ran it.

Thanks again,

Doug