VirtualBox: killing DMA

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 15:29:01 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am having problems where network I/O on a FreeBSD guest within VirtualBox
ends up killing the host.  Here is my setup:

Host: FreeBSD 8 RC2 /amd64
Guest: FreeBSD-current (~week old) /i386
VirtualBox: virtualbox-3.0.51.r22902_2 (bridged to my dc0)

I've tried multiple configurations all resulting in the same problem.  The
most conservative configuration:

Machine: VT disabled
Host: hw.ata.ata_dma=0, hw.ata.atapi_dma=0 (safe mode didn't work)
Guest: safe mode
VirtualBox: VT and APIC disabled

I can cause the problem by doing (in the guest):

# mount -t smbfs //server/tmp /mnt
# dd if=/mnt/big_file of=/tmp bs=1k

The error messages on the host are:
ad8: FAILED - load data
ad8: setting up DMA failed
g_vfs_done(): ad8s1d[WRITE(offset=65536, length=2048)]error = 5
(many g_vfs_done messages, with different partition, offset and length)
panic: initiate_write_inodeblock_ufs2: already started

If I disable the network interface (from VirtualBox for the guest) then I
cannot produce the above.

Regards,

David