virtualbox port forwarding

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 20 14:46:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Alexandr Krivulya wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have host with FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p3 running Win2K3 under
> virtualbox-3.0.51.r22226 with cofigured terminal service. I configured
> port forwarding to get access terminal service on win2k3 outside of a
> virtual machine, but it doesn't work :(
>
> shurik at shurik-nb:~> VBoxManage getextradata WIN2003STD enumerate
> VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 3.0.51_OSE
> (C) 2005-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> All rights reserved.
>
> Key: GUI/AutoresizeGuest, Value: on
> Key: GUI/Fullscreen, Value: off
> Key: GUI/LastCloseAction, Value: powerOff
> Key: GUI/LastWindowPostion, Value: 297,74,800,647
> Key: GUI/MiniToolBarAlignment, Value: bottom
> Key: GUI/MiniToolBarAutoHide, Value: on
> Key: GUI/SaveMountedAtRuntime, Value: yes
> Key: GUI/Seamless, Value: off
> Key: GUI/ShowMiniToolBar, Value: yes
> Key: VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/RDP/GuestPort, Value: 3389
> Key: VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/RDP/HostPort, Value: 53389
> Key: VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/RDP/Protocol, Value: TCP
>
> sockstat shows listening port 53389:
>
> shurik at shurik-nb:~> sockstat -l -4|grep 3389
> shurik   VirtualBox 9553  42 tcp4   *:53389               *:*
>
> Network inside of virtual machine works good.

Your configuration looks correct.  I had something similar to use ssh
with a guest that did work:
Key: VBoxInternal/Devices/e1000/0/LUN#0/Config/CentOS/GuestPort, Value: 22
Key: VBoxInternal/Devices/e1000/0/LUN#0/Config/CentOS/HostPort, Value: 30022
Key: VBoxInternal/Devices/e1000/0/LUN#0/Config/CentOS/Protocol, Value: TCP

Here are my thoughts:
1. Is the guest configured to allow remote desktop?  Ah.  I see you
    already have it configured.
2. Is the guest configured to allow remote desktop through its firewall?
3. Is there a firewall on the host that could interfere with the
    connection?  This is even if you are trying to communicate from the
    host.
4. You could run tcpdump -n -i lo0 port 53389 on the host to see if any
    packets are coming out of the guest.  This is assuming you are
    connecting from the host to localhost.
5. Are you attempting to connect with rdesktop such as:
    rdesktop localhost:53389
6. You could try the patch posted on this list yesterday from Juergen
    Lock to allow the use of tap devices (requires manual setup) and
    avoid having to use port forwarding.

Sean
--
scf at FreeBSD.org