Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

martinko gamato at users.sf.net
Tue Oct 21 22:51:26 UTC 2008

Thierry Thomas wrote:
> Le Mar 21 oct 08 à 22:09:44 +0200, martinko <gamato at users.sf.net>
>  écrivait :
>
>> Hi,
>
> Hello,
>
>> No Oracle installation I have ever seen was installed into /home and it
>> would be against Oracle Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA) guidelines!
>
> Agreed.
>
>> /usr/local/oracle would be OK and users can move the directory tree
>> elsewhere afterwards.  Or maybe you can ask about Oracle Base directory
>> during config/installation process, if possible.
>
> I would suggest to install under $ORACLE_HOME, defaulted to:
>
> ORACLE_HOME?=   ${PREFIX}/oracle
>
> (or may be ${PREFIX}/oracle${VERSION} to allow the installation of
> different versions)
>
> Regards,

Hallo,

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that..

OFA guidelines say that $ORACLE_HOME shoud be in the form of e.g.
$ORACLE_BASE/product/10.2.0/db_1

And application (DB) is installed into its $ORACLE_HOME and thus one can
have many different installations of many different versions.

Then there are other directories under $ORACLE_BASE that usually contain
Oracle Inventory (of installed software) and DB data files etc.

Usually everything under $ORACLE_BASE is created and taken care by
Oracle Universal Installer (which is Java application).

Another issue may be where to place oratab file.  It is located in
/var/opt/oracle/oratab on SunOS and in /etc/oratab on other Unixes.

Cheers,

Martin