edwin scheme/emacs SEGV's in X; not on console

Ben Kaduk minimarmot at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 20:45:06 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm taking a classical mechanics class that uses an scmutils package
on top of mit-scheme.
Attempting to build this software on FreeBSD natively has been ...
painful, so I'm looking
at using the linuxulator to run an already-compiled version.

I'm running FreeBSD-CURRENT from the September snapshot, and I installed
linux_base-f8 and linux-xorg-libs.
I then downloaded this tarball:
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/gjs/6946/scmutils-tarballs/scmutils-20080929-ix86-ubuntu-gutsy.tar.gz
and unpacked it in /usr/local .
I needed to brandelf -t Linux
/usr/local/scmutils/mit-scheme/bin/mit-scheme-native
and change /usr/local/bin/mechanics to have #!/usr/compat/linux/bin/bash
instead of #!/bin/bash, but then the program runs just fine in console mode.
(edwin is an emacs18, and it has a module on top of it to run a scheme
interpreter
using their mechanics library.)

However, when I run the program in X11, whenever I try to evaluate a command
(C-x, even), I get the message:
Internal error: Hardware trap SIGSEGV.
I can try to ktrace the call to scheme, but kdump segfaults on the ktrace.out.

Is there anything obvious that I should look at?

Thanks,

Ben Kaduk