kern/97326: [linux] file descriptor leakage in linux emulation

Vladimir Grebenschikov vova at parallels.com
Fri Oct 3 07:46:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 23:33 -0800, Beech Rintoul wrote:
> On Thursday 02 October 2008, Vladimir Grebenschikov said:
> > The following reply was made to PR kern/97326; it has been noted by
> > GNATS.
>

> >  Probably, somebody encourages skype.com to build native FreeBSD
> > version of skype ?
>
> That's something I'm lobbying for. As well as the port maintainer, I'm
> also a member of Skype's closed beta team. I broached that subject
> this summer when I met with Skype senior project people and devs. The
> bottom line is the app is very tightly integrated and won't be an
> easy port. Skype is willing to listen providing we can show them that
> we (including the other BSD's) can show enough actual users to
> justify the dev time on their part. I'm totally open for suggestions
> on how to accomplish that, providing we have a large userbase in the
> first place.

Hm, i can suggest two ways:
- usual web-petition, where interested people may leave a signatures
- small change in Linux version of skype, that will report to skype
actual OS even when skype runs under emulation. Probably counting number
of OSS-based skype clients will give such number estimation even now (is
there still many live linux desktops without ALSA ?). But this way will
not count potential skype users who is blocked by emulation
disadvantages (like second set of libraries in memory).

As for real problem of "fair" skype porting I see lack of video
framework (like V4L) on BSD.

--
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov
Parallels Inc. vova at parallels.com