wine-1.1.8 regression -- wine: could not load L"...": Invalid address

Tijl Coosemans tijl at ulyssis.org
Tue Nov 25 14:26:32 PST 2008

Alex,

On Tuesday 25 November 2008 22:39:25 Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> Alex, would you mind submitting this patch upstream as well, to
> wine-patches at winehq.org Cc:ing me on that?  (If you prefer, I can
> also do this, but since it's your patch...)
>
> I'm currently travelling and will try to update our port in the
> next couple of days; the earlier this gets upstream or at least
> upstream review the better.

It should probably first be discussed with Alexandre Julliard. The
original code fails because it ends up allocating the virtual heap
somewhere in the beginning of address space which probably interferes
with other mappings.

The patch moves this to (address_space_limit - 10 * VIRTUAL_HEAP_SIZE).
I'm not sure that's correct. I think simply 0x80000000 would be better,
but that's what Alexandre can tell you.

Also, in the #else case you change a 1 into a 0. Is that intentional?

-    if (!wine_mmap_enum_reserved_areas( alloc_virtual_heap, &heap_base, 1 ))
+    if (!wine_mmap_enum_reserved_areas( alloc_virtual_heap, &heap_base, 0 ))