Trouble With Linux Compatibility

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Tue Nov 11 19:22:06 PST 2008

Boris Samorodov wrote:
> Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net> writes:
>
>> Boris Samorodov wrote:

>>> It is not supposed to work (installing via rpm). You may try to do like
>>> this:
>>> -----
>>> # cd $LINUX_BASE
>>> # rpm2cpio -q < $directory_with_rpm_package/$rpm_package | cpio -id
>>> -----
>>> Then find any new binary executable files and brandelf(1) them (only
>>> executables, not libraries).
>>>
>> Thank you!  I think I have it working.
>>

> Good to know.
>

>>  Will have to test to be sure
>> it's working OK.  I'm just curious...in two guides, written in 2006, I
>> found on the net use rpm to install.  Did this change recently?
>>

> Seems that it has changed two years ago when I began to maintain
> linux ports. ;-) The problem was that rpm used it's own database
> of installed files/packages. The native FreeBSD database was used
> as well. It was a nightmare to keep then in sync. One of them
> should die. Guess which one? ;-)

I understand.

> BTW, what about creating patches/followups/etc to those guides you
> have seen?

One of the guides was from O'Reilly's onlamp.com.  The other was
linux.com.  With the exception of posting a comment below the article, I
do not find it possible to update those guides.  However I could write
an additional section for the Handbook and send it to freebsd-doc@ and
see if someone would add it.  Would that be a good place?  It's where I
started looking.

Cheers,

Drew

--