wine-1.1.8 regression -- wine: could not load L"...": Invalid address

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Mon Nov 10 13:07:56 PST 2008

On wine-1.1.8, I cannot run many application that used to run fine on
wine-1.1.7, for example an old version (4.10) of irfanview:

wine: could not load L"C:\\irfanview-OLD\\i_view32.exe": Invalid address

I did recompile wine with standard port options and without additional
patches and removed my old ~/.wine directory. The issue remains. Going
back to 1.1.7 immediately fixes the problem.

Some very simple programs run fine, however.

I just found that there are more people with that problem on questions@:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-November/186151.html

Since this happens for many application including popular ones, I
suspect this might be a FreeBSD thing. (Since winehq.org seems to be
down, I cannot check for one of the applications in question running
successfully on Linux.)

Cheers,
Jan Henrik