Lack of Flash support is no longer acceptable. Bounty established...

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 18:08:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 8:55 AM, Scott T. Hildreth
<shildreth at allantgroup.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 08:41 -0700, John Kozubik wrote:

>> >   Maybe the bounty would be better spent here,
>> >
>> > This was from an email on the gnome list from Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at freebsd.org>
>> >
>> > "As to the point about Flash, Kris also mentioned that he has the ear of
>> >  someone at Adobe who was hinting that a capable developer willing to
>> >  sign an NDA could be given code to work on a native Flash plug-in port.
>> >  This could bode well for PC-BSD and FreeBSD should someone step up to
>> >  do this work."
>>

>> Perfect.  This is exactly what the bounty:
>>
>> http://blog.kozubik.com/john_kozubik/2007/12/bounty-posted-f.html
>>
>> is for.  I suggest that if you think this is important (as I do) to post a
>> commitment to the bounty, and presumably someone will step forward to
>> speak with Kris, sign an NDA, and get the FreeBSD desktop back to a
>> reasonable level of utility.
>
> I wonder how much of a task it would be?  Does anyone have any idea what
> language the clients are written in?

Look into Spidermonkey for more details:

http://www.mozilla.org/js/spidermonkey/

It was designed to be the bridge between ActiveScript and Mozilla,
allowing the Adobe folks to code Flash in terms of ActiveScript,
instead of completely in C, thus making things more portable.

I offered to work with the Mozilla group to get ActiveScript ported
over to FreeBSD but I haven't received a reply in a year of having
posted my "bug report".

(not designed to be troll-bait, just my personal opinion on the matter
-- don't comment on it please) FWIW, Personally I don't think that
Flash support is as critical as getting working x64 compatible OpenGL
enabled video drivers, but then again my opinion differs from your's
most likely.

-Garrett