Lack of Flash support is no longer acceptable. Bounty established...

Martin Cracauer cracauer at cons.org
Sat Jun 21 16:03:31 UTC 2008

Roman Divacky wrote on Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 03:49:00PM +0200:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 04:09:50PM -0400, Martin Cracauer wrote:
> > Is it crashing right at startup? What happens if you create a minimal
> > (aka empty) Flash thingy on a website? Does it go through the startup,
> > is there any Flash element that doesn't crash on FreeBSD?
> >
> > How long is the syscall trace in that minimal case? Small enough to
> > diff out (after awk) against a Linux strace?
>
> iirc it crashes quite early when attempting to play a video on youtube.
> back then when I tried to debug this my ktrace output was ~2 milion lines
> if I am not mistaken.

So does Flash 9 work for anything at all, a minimal applet?

> I am not sure if you can find what the problem is by comparing syscall
> traces... the problem is probably with implementation of some syscall
> or something like that so checking arguments to syscalls wont help. I hope
> you will prove me wrong :)

Almost all syscall side effects are in data returned.

There are also subtle differences in what mmap behavior is allowed
with what mmap arguments and Flash might choose to ignore an error
code returned from an mmap call.  A -1 on FreeBSD where Linux had an
address might be the clue.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/